Sweden has not imposed the extraordinary lockdown measures seen across Europe, instead urging people to take responsibility and follow official recommendations. Gatherings of more than 50 people have been barred along with visits to nursing homes.The strategy has come under scrutiny since its mortality rates leapt ahead of its Nordic neighbors, Finland, Denmark and Norway, which have all instituted more restrictive containment measures.On Thursday, the Karolinska University Hospital confirmed that a 40-year-old nurse, who had tested positive for COVID-19, had died.The hospital however stressed to broadcaster SVT that while the nurse was on sick leave for symptoms relating to COVID-19, the cause of death had not yet been confirmed. Topics : Swedish officials said on Thursday they had recorded more than 2,000 deaths from COVID-19 in the country, while revising earlier statements about when the capital Stockholm was believed to have passed the peak of infections.The Public Health Agency of Sweden said it had recorded 16,755 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus, and 2,021 deaths.The agency also corrected a report it published earlier this week on Stockholm, the epicenter of the Swedish epidemic. The report, based on statistical modeling, initially said the capital region passed the peak of simultaneous infections on April 15 with 86,000 people believed to be have been infected.But on Thursday it revised the date to April 8, with some 70,500 believed to have been infected.”The number of infected is still at a high level, now is not the time to ease any cautionary measures,” deputy state epidemiologist Anders Wallensten said in a statement.The agency also said in the report that it expected 26 percent of Stockholmers to be infected with the new coronavirus by May 1.
Offshore Energy Today Staff Brazilian oil company Petrobras has made an oil discovery in the Campos Basin’s pre-salt layer, in the area of Marlim Sul field.This is the first commercial discovery of oil in the pre-salt layer of the Marlim Sul area. The discovery occurred during drilling of Poraquê Alto well, at final depth of 4,568 m.The well which identified the discovery is located 115 km off the coast of Rio de Janeiro State, at 1,107 m water depth.The discovery was confirmed by profile data, gas detector, formation testing by cable, and fluid samples. The analysis of current data indicates carbonate reservoirs of good porosity and permeability features, at 4,420 m depth and 45 m thick with oil presence, Petrobras said.“This result demonstrates the potential for new discoveries in mature basins, with production infrastructure already deployed,” Petrobras said.FPSO scrappedInterestingly, this is not the first time this week Offshore Energy Today has reported on the Marlim Sul area.OET on Wednesday published an article on SBM Offshore selling its previously demobilized FPSO Marlim Sul for recycling.SBM said in its 2017 half-year financial results this week that the FPSO, removed from the Petrobras-operated oil field, was sold for recycling and transferred off the balance sheet in July 2017.The FPSO Marlim Sul worked at the Marlim Sul field for Petrobras for over a decade before the end of service. The vessel had been delivered to SBM by Keppel, following a conversion from a VLCC in 2004.Worth noting, the FPSO was not the only production unit at the field. Currently, Petrobras is using the P-56 semi-submersible platform for oil production at the Marlim Sul.
Batesville, In. — Since the election of President Donald Trump gun sales have declined, in 2018 gun sales were down 6.1-percent. For states that depend on the economic impact of firearms this could be a bad thing.A panel of researchers from WalletHub combed over data from all 50 states to determine what states are the most dependent on the gun industry. Kentucky hit the list at 7, Indiana was 16 and Ohio ranked as the 29th most dependent state on the gun industry.A link to the complete study is here.
Decatur County EMS Report (18)Decatur County Fire Report (21)Decatur County Incident Report (20)Decatur County Jail Arrest Report (21)
By the time Manchester United receive their prize following next Sunday’s final home game against Swansea, it will be three weeks since the victory over Aston Villa that clinched the success. That Van Persie scored a hat-trick that night is fitting given the 29-year-old’s contribution has been widely acknowledged as the key to United’s 20th championship. For a player who left Arsenal to compete for major honours rather than a battle to retain a place in the top four, it means next weekend cannot come quickly enough. “It is the feeling you dream of,” Van Persie told United Review. Press Association “Everything is about lifting the trophy. There were some great pictures taken after the Aston Villa game, but there was one thing missing from them all; the trophy. That’s the picture that will be framed in my house; me, lifting the Barclays Premier League trophy. I can’t wait for that moment.” It did seem something of a gamble for both player and club to make such a significant switch last summer. However, it did not take Van Persie, nor manager Sir Alex Ferguson, long to realise they had made exactly the right move. “I wouldn’t have moved if I’d had doubts,” he said. “Instead, from day one I was almost certain we would win trophies – not in a couple of years but this year. “I saw the players in training. I saw the way they behaved, the way they lived, their mentality, the way the staff worked, the way the manager and the staff acted. When all those elements combine you end up with a team of champions. It also helps when you have so many players who know how to win.” Van Persie missed out to Gareth Bale in the voting for the PFA and FWA awards which he collected last season. As consolation it seems certain Van Persie will end up with the Premier League Golden Boot for the second year running. Not that Van Persie regards the Golden Boot prize as a personal honour anyway. “In a way, it is not an honest award,” he said. “Even if you end up with the most goals in a season, those goals are the team’s goals and many will have been made possible by other players. They should make a Golden Boot for the whole team. “It would be nice (to win it), but the main thing for me was to win the league. Even if I’d scored half the number of goals and we’d won the league I would still have been happy.” Robin van Persie cannot wait to get his hands on the Premier League trophy.
”You have to prove yourself. A player of £95million has to prove himself also.” Falcao’s agent Jorge Mendes rejected to opportunity to quash speculation on his client’s future this week. ”The truth is, right now we don’t know what will happen,” Mendes said. ”What we do know is that he will play in one of the very best clubs in the world next season, whether that is Manchester United or not.” For Van Gaal, the situation is much more clear – a return of three goals in 13 appearances is not good enough. Van Gaal insists he has no option but to take a hard-line stance with the forward, who has suffered with injury problems since his move. ”If I am not like that, maybe he has less motivation,” Van Gaal said. ”I have to be like that.” It was also clear that Van Gaal is becoming annoyed by the subject of Falcao’s future. Almost half of the questions at his weekly press conference were on the subject. Most enquiries about the Colombian were greeted with a short response. ”That is not for you, that is not for the media. That is for the player and his manager. I’m sorry,” Van Gaal said when asked about how Falcao had responded to being dropped. When asked whether Falcao’s morale was okay, the Dutchman said: ”I think so.” And when quizzed on whether Falcao would feature against QPR on Saturday, Van Gaal said: ”You have to wait and see, because when I say that a part of my line-up is known I make it easy for my opponent and I don’t want to make it easy.” Falcao’s chances of starting at Loftus Road looked to have been strengthened when Robin van Persie hobbled off in the second half of the loss to Saints with an ankle injury. But Van Gaal said the striker’s injury was not serious, so he has an outside chance of playing this weekend, it seems. “It is a minor injury. I don’t think it’s a great problem,” Van Gaal told MUTV. United’s defeat to Southampton meant they dropped to fourth and the manager is demanding an improvement. “When you want to be champion you have to win matches against Southampton and Aston Villa,” he said. Speculation has been rife Van Gaal could boost his squad by signing the likes of Kevin Strootman, Seamus Coleman and Mats Hummels this month. But Van Gaal played down talk of a January spending spree. ”I don’t think that we shall be very active as not many players of a certain level are available,” he said. ”When we buy a player he has to be better than the players that are playing now and that is a difficult job.” United were hailed as the big winners on deadline day last September when they beat a host of their rivals to sign Falcao on a £6million loan deal from Monaco. United chartered a private jet to fly the coveted striker over from the principality and the two-time Ballon d’Or nominee was given a standing ovation and a loud roar from the United fans when he made his debut against QPR. Going into the reverse fixture this weekend, the tables have turned somewhat. To the bemusement of many fans, a fully-fit Falcao was left out of the squad for last week’s 1-0 defeat against Southampton, with Van Gaal preferring to put three centre-backs and 19-year-old James Wilson on the bench instead. Van Gaal stands by his decision and at a frosty press conference on Friday warned Falcao he still has to demonstrate he is worth more game time, and a permanent move to Old Trafford. ”He has to prove himself, that we have agreed,” said the United manager, who has the option to buy the striker for £43.5million at the end of the season. “We have made this deal and everything is clear and it is not the end of the year so he has the chance for that.” In 2013 Monaco paid no less than £50million to sign the striker, who is reported to be on around £280,000 a week at Old Trafford. Van Gaal could not care less about how much the player is worth though. ”If a player costs £95million or £5,000 it’s not any difference for me,” the Dutchman said. Press Association Louis van Gaal has ordered Radamel Falcao to show him why he deserves a future at Manchester United.
Associated Press March 26, 2020 AP source: MLB players approve deal with teams to preserve service time, give clubs right to shorten amateur draft Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditNEW YORK (AP) — AP source: MLB players approve deal with teams to preserve service time, give clubs right to shorten amateur draft.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6
Facebook Twitter Google+ The question mark surrounding Syracuse’s offense loomed heading into its season opener. The Orange had lost top points scorer and “quarterback” Dylan Donahue to graduation. Before the season, SU head coach John Desko said senior Jordan Evans, the most experienced attack and wearer of No. 22, needed to step up.On Saturday, Evans did just that, helping facilitate the offense like Desko asked. And he was not alone. Senior Nick Mariano mirrored Evans’ production as the duo filled the quarterback gap to combine for six goals and nine assists. The pair orchestrated No. 6 Syracuse’s (1-0) fourth consecutive season-opening win against Siena (0-1), 19-6.“(Evans and Mariano) played well and finished well,” Desko said. “They played well together because of how they understand the offense.”On three separate occasions, Evans and Mariano were a part of putting together three or more consecutive Syracuse scores. The duo assisted each other twice during a five-point streak mid-game that pushed SU’s lead to double-digits and the offense clicked in the team’s first game without Donahue since 2013.In the third quarter, Siena’s goalie Aaron Lewis picked up the ball off the ground and darted to his left. Evans ran at Lewis, who tried turning and firing the ball across the field to his teammate. When he began to pass, Evans knocked his stick deflected the ball down.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textQuickly, he scooped up the ball and found Mariano already cutting toward the empty net. Lewis ran back and dove block the shot. It was too late. Mariano registered his third goal.On 12 different scoring plays for SU, Evans or Mariano had assisted or scored. Evans’ career-high eight total points was quickly followed with Mariano’s career-high of seven. For Mariano’s six shots on goal, Evans was right behind with five. The two seemed to riff off each other’s momentum as SU quickly pulled away after a slow start in the first frame.“End of the first quarter, Nick and I looked at each other,” Evans said, “and I told him this is the best I’ve played with a duo since I’ve been (at Syracuse).”While Mariano or Evans had possession, the rest of the team ran off-ball cuts toward the net. Keeping their heads up and quickly making decisions led to multiple opportunities. Like one particular goal from Brendan Bomberry to put SU up 10 with 6:16 to go in the third quarter.Mariano saw Bomberry cutting right around the cage and instinctively pulled the defenseman toward him. Mariano lofted a pass high that Bomberry reached to grab. The junior transfer wound up and made it 13-3.“It was all with our guys off ball,” Mariano said. “Our offense is facilitated through everyone; it doesn’t matter who is gonna get the points.”There doesn’t need to be a singular quarterback, Desko said, that the offense needs to run through. Instead, it seems Syracuse has two signal-callers working in tandem.And Mariano and Evans are entering just their second year together as teammates. If Saturday’s performance is any indication, the pair might continue SU’s offensive success without a hiccup.“It’s good to have someone else who really knows the game inside-out,” Evans said, “and knows where to be at the right time.”Evans is not Donahue. Neither is Mariano. But that did not matter in Syracuse’s season opener. Comments Published on February 11, 2017 at 8:36 pm Contact Charlie: firstname.lastname@example.org | @charliedisturco
Sophomore outside hitter Khalia Lanier leaps into the air to spike the ball in a game against Cal at the Galen Center in Los Angeles. Photo by Kaan Demiroz | Daily TrojanThe No. 17 USC women’s volleyball team (16-7, 8-4 Pac-12) is back home after four straight away matches. On Friday, the Trojans host Arizona State, and on Sunday, they host Arizona.“This weekend we’re looking to have great games versus both Arizonas,” junior libero Victoria Garrick said. Last time the Women of Troy faced off against these two teams, they split their games. Out in Tucson, USC was stunned in a straight-sweep against the Wildcats (25-23, 25-17, 26-24). The team bounced back and picked up a four-set win in Tempe against the Sun Devils (19-25, 25-19, 25-20, 25-22). “We’re very excited for the Arizona game because they swept us,” Garrick said. “We were completely caught off guard. I don’t think we expected to lose the game, let alone get swept.”This time around, the Women of Troy will have home court advantage. As the Pac-12 is arguably the toughest conference for women’s volleyball, wins on the home court are vital. USC has fared well at the Galen Center: it has a home record of 6-1. The Trojans’ only loss at home was against then-No. 3 Stanford. Now the Cardinal has jumped up to No. 2 in the rankings. In its last four matches, USC has gone 2-2. Its offense has been missing a key component in sophomore outside hitter Khalia Lanier, who has been sidelined. In the team’s matches in Washington, freshman outside hitter Brooke Botkin continued to impress. Botkin had 30 kills on the weekend, a team high. She put up two aces and 18 digs. Rounding out the other side of USC’s attack are senior opposites Brittany Abercrombie and Niki Withers. The two combined for 52 kills in the team’s last two outings. “I know that [the Wildcats] should be a little frightened,” Garrick said. “We’re ready to get up for that match and really put the hammer on them.”To pick up two wins against the Arizona schools, the Women of Troy will need to rely on Botkin, Abercrombie and Withers. They’ll also need a resurgence of offensive strength from junior outside hitter Alyse Ford. While Ford did not play against the Huskies, she led the team with 14 kills two days later in their sweep of the Cougars. The Sun Devils are led by senior middle blocker Oluoma Okaro. Okaro has 385 kills on the season, averaging 4.48 kills per set. Arizona State’s offense is rounded out by freshman outside hitter Griere Hughes and sophomore outside hitter Ivana Jeremic. Hughes has 226 kills on the season, averaging by 2.94 kills per set. Jeremic has 221 kills on the season, averaging 2.76 kills per set. The Wildcats are led by a bevy of young talent. Freshman outside hitter Paige Whipple leads the team with 165 kills on the season, averaging 2.36 kills per set. Redshirt freshman outside hitter Elizabeth Shelton is second on the team with 132 kills on the season, averaging 2.10 kills per set. Freshman middle blocker Candice Denny is third on the list. Denny is seventh in the conference with a .356 hitting percentage overall and third in the conference with a .372 hitting percentage in league play. She’s on track to be the first freshman in program history to hit at least .350. The Women of Troy will have to limit powerful attacks from the Arizona schools to pick up two more wins at home.