UE continues resurgence, beats UP

first_imgMark Maloles and Alvin Pasaol exchanged back-to-back triples in a span of 18 seconds to give UE a 68-58 with 2:49 remaining in the fourth quarter.Pasaol then delivered the dagger, converting a three-point play for a 71-62 lead with 1:33 left.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smogUE head coach Derrick Pumaren is aware of their position in the Final Four race and he used their first win in the UAAP as their starting point and motivation in getting to the semifinals.“Until there’s a fourth team that makes it then we still have a shot at it,” said Pumaren of their Final Four shot. “We just have to stay positive in the things that are going on. We just have to play as a team and keep playing as one unit.” Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson View comments NU back on track, dumps winless UST Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netUniversity of the East strengthened its bid for a Final Four spot after humbling University of the Philippines, 73-64, in the UAAP Season 80 men’s basketball tournament Sunday at Filoil Flying V Centre.The Red Warriors won their third game in four outings to improve to 3-7 and them on track of getting the fourth spot in the league while the Fighting Maroons slipped to a 4-6 record.ADVERTISEMENT Pasaol showed his might with 32 points and 13 rebounds to lead UE while Mark Olayon narrowly missed out on a triple-double finishing with 11 points, 10 rebounds, and eight assists.Rookie Juan Gomez de Liaño had 22 points and eight rebounds to lead UP while older brother Javi finished with 17 points and 11 boards. For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity.center_img Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny UAAP Season 80 Preview: UE Red Warriors PLAY LIST 02:56UAAP Season 80 Preview: UE Red Warriors05:05SEA Games 2019: Rubilen Amit finally beats Chezka Centeno for 9-ball gold (HIGHLIGHTS)02:57UAAP SEASON 80 PREVIEW: UP Fighting Maroons02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ MOST READ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextlast_img read more

Guyana elected member of PAHO’s Directing Council General Committee

first_imgPublic Health Minister, Dr George Norton was among the panel of Health Ministers and other officials who met during the last week of September at the Pan American Health Organisation (PAHO) office in Washington, DC to discuss ways in which public health challenges can be tackled across the Region.Dr Norton was accompanied by Dr Karen Boyle, Deputy Chief Medical Officer of the Public Health Ministry, to the 55th Directing Council, where Guyana was elected a member of the Directing Council General Committee along with Jamaica, Grenada and Honduras.Meanwhile, regional health representatives attended the 13th Meeting of the Council on Human and Social Development (COHSOD), which focused on matters such as chemical risk and thermo-nuclear risk management and infectious diseases.Discussions were also held on the Caribbean Cooperation in Health Priorities and Regional Public Goods, Management, Governance and Resourcing and the Regional Health Strategy. Countries were encouraged to take local ownership of moving the COHSOD agenda forward by ensuring support at the highest policy level.Caribbean Member States have committed to developing National Polio Preparedness and Response Plans in order to achieve the required 80 per cent target coverage for all the surveillance indicators for Acute Flaccid Paralysis (AFP). Countries were advised to integrate the surveillance for polio with the neurological manifestation of Zika.Following the recently commemorated Caribbean Wellness Week, at which Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs) were topical over the past few years, discussions continued along this path. New initiatives for preventing NCDs and treatment methods were explored. Countries were also encouraged to implement health finance reform inclusive of increased taxation on harmful products such as foods high in sugars, salt, fat, alcohol and cigarettes.In addition, the Region’s achievements in relation to the elimination of mother-to-child transmission of HIV were addressed. It was recommended that countries strengthen the data collection for HIV and syphilis, and integrate available data sources to provide timely monitoring of maternal child health programme performance within the context of existing national information systems.Meanwhile, at the conclusion of the Directing Council, World Health Organisation (WHO) Director General, Dr Margaret Chan declared Latin America and the Caribbean measles free.last_img read more

Seniors weigh options

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week The program marks the first time the federal government is helping all senior citizens pay for prescription drugs and is the largest expansion of the Medicare program since the Johnson administration. But some seniors are having trouble sorting through its complexities. In Los Angeles County, for instance, recipients must choose one of 34 plans, each with its own options. “That’s too many choices,” said Leo Maggio, a senior citizen having lunch at ONEGeneration. “It’s too confusing. If they could make it five or six, that would make sense. Why so many?” Medicare officials say the choices will benefit the 6 million Californians eligible for Medicare by fostering competition among companies competing for the business. “This is not the sort of thing where a government, one-size-fits-all plan is workable,” Medicare spokesman Jack Cheevers said. “People – completely healthy that are taking no drugs at all – may want a plan with no premium and low deductibles. People on a dozen or so drugs, their big concern would be making sure the plan covers all their drugs. LAKE BALBOA – Whenever Mimi Ross hears someone talking about the Medicare prescription-drug program that begins registering recipients today, she can’t help interrupting the conversation. “It’s a ridiculous program,” said Ross, who needs medicine for osteoporosis. “I didn’t have to pay anything before (on Medi-Cal), and now I’m going to have to pay. You have to find a pharmacy near you that takes your plan. It’s ridiculous.” Ross shook her head and looked at her tray of lasagna, Monday’s lunch at the ONEGeneration senior center on Victory Boulevard. Few at ONEGeneration seemed excited about the program, which will provide federal subsidies to seniors, the disabled and those with end-stage renal disease to help pay for prescription drugs. Those eligible can begin registering for the program today, with benefits starting Jan. 1. “This was designed to encourage a lot of choice.” The Center for Healthcare Rights, a state-designated Medicare counseling center, has been flooded with phone calls seeking advice on the new program. The center has a one-month backlog of calls, meaning Medicare recipients won’t get a return phone call until mid-December. “Can you imagine a spreadsheet on something like this?” said Sandy Risdon, program manager at the Center for Healthcare Rights. “You’d have to roll it on a picnic table. “Folks who are on the Internet have it a little easier, but most seniors are not on the Internet. Picking a plan is going to be more difficult without Internet access.” Her center is looking for volunteers for its peer-counseling program to help ease the backlog of calls, Risdon said. At the Jewish Home for the Aging in Reseda, administrators have been holding a series of seminars to explain the program to residents. “Everyone is talking about it here,” said resident Ella Kalan, 95. “I imagine the home will try to figure out what’s best. I’m not really sure yet.” At ONEGeneration, Ross’ lunch table offered a glimpse of what seniors think about the Medicare program. Charles Reinhart, 85, likes his current plan from AARP, which is moderately priced and easily understandable, he said. Harry Goldstein, 68, plans to stick to his Veterans Administration plan, which covers the $700-per-month price tag for hepatitis medication. Al Rabinowitz has made it to age 95 with little to no medication and doesn’t plan to start using medicine now. “I’ll just drop dead,” he said with a laugh. “That’s the easiest way to deal with it.” Only Ross planned to enroll in the program, and she was confused and upset about it. She plans to meet with a counselor to get more information. The 25 percent at the table who plan to enroll matches the nationwide ratio, Cheevers said. The program targets seniors who don’t have any other insurance that covers prescription drugs. About 75 percent of those eligible for the plan already have prescription drug coverage, Cheevers said. “Over time, people will become more familiar with this and they’ll learn how to navigate it,” he said. “If you don’t have drug coverage now, though, it’s worth sitting down and studying this.” Those eligible for Medicare have until May 15 to enroll. If they wait until after that date, they must pay a 1 percent penalty for every month after the date – which means if they wait five years, they’ll have to pay 60 percent more than the plan’s premium. Anyone who is eligible but has private insurance doesn’t have to enroll. If they lose the private insurance, they can enroll in Medicare at that time without paying the penalty, Cheevers said. “How many people will really benefit?” Risdon said. “I don’t think we know that now. A lot of this is going to sort itself out. (The program) was really designed for someone who doesn’t have any other options for drug coverage. In Los Angeles County, that’s not a huge number of people.” Josh Kleinbaum, (818) 713-3669 josh.kleinbaum@dailynews.com MEDICARE HELP Registration begins today for Medicare’s new prescription-drug program, which means senior citizens in Los Angeles County must choose from among 34 plans. Here are issues to consider: Current plan: If you have drug coverage now, you probably don’t need to use the Medicare plan. Check your current coverage and see whether it is better than Medicare. Fees: Check for monthly deductibles and co-payments, as well as coverage gaps – known as the “Doughnut Hole.” Drugs: Not all plans cover every drug, so make sure your medication is covered. Pharmacies: Certain pharmacies accept only certain plans. Make sure a local pharmacy accepts your plan of choice. Need help? Here are some resources: Internet: http://www.medicare.gov Phone: (800) MEDICARE Center for Health Care Rights, 520 S. Lafayette Park Place, Suite 214, (213) 383-4519. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more