Metamora, In. — The Franklin County Sheriff’s Department has arrested an Indianapolis couple accused of breaking into a church in the Metamora area.The investigation began with a report suspicious people at the Country Mark gas station at 3 p.m. Monday. While searching the area, police found two people that matched the description provided by witnesses at the gateway Park in Metamora.As the investigation progressed, deputies found items reported stolen from the Metamora Baptist Church in the possession of Ramonte Robinson, 21, and Katie McDaniel, 32, both of Indianapolis. Police also located a 1994 Toyota Camry at the intersection of U.S. 52 and Pennington Road that had been reported stolen from the Indianapolis area.Robinson has been arrested for possession of a stolen vehicle and burglary. McDaniel was arrested for possession of a firearm as a violent felon, burglary and possession of a stolen vehicle.Both are being held in the Franklin County Security Center.
Liverpool’s former director of football Damien Comolli claims the club are risking a second successive season of disappointment with their summer transfer policy. He said: “When you gamble as much money as they did last summer, you have got to give players a chance, and changing everything again sends the message to the players brought in last summer that they will not get a chance. “By the time everyone settles into the team, and the players coming from abroad get used to the Premier League, they might be well behind fourth place. “It is a huge risk. If you look at the stability of City, Chelsea, Arsenal throughout the years – the proof is in the pudding.” Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, meanwhile, has welcomed the arrival of his Belgium international team-mate Benteke. Striker Benteke, 24, was the Reds’ top target and has a good reputation in England after scoring 49 goals in 101 appearances for Aston Villa. Mignolet told the club’s website, www.liverpoolfc.com: “I’m very pleased that he’s signed. “I’m sure there’ll be a lot of Belgian fans coming to Anfield next season. I’m looking forward to that. “We had some good duels against each other with Aston Villa. I won’t be challenging him any more, like I did last season, so that’s nice!” Comolli has questioned the wisdom of bringing in so many new players when such an approach failed to bring the desired results last year. Liverpool’s £32.5million signing of Christian Benteke this week took their number of new players for the summer to seven after deals for James Milner, Danny Ings, Adam Bogdan, Nathaniel Clyne, Roberto Firmino and Joe Gomez. Some of the spending has been facilitated by the £49million sale of Raheem Sterling but Comolli fears the mistakes made after the club received £75million for Luis Suarez in 2014 could be repeated. Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren, Mario Balotelli, Rickie Lambert and Lazar Markovic were among last year’s disappointments. Comolli told talkSPORT: “Without talking about individual players, it is always a big risk to make so many changes during one transfer window. “I thought it was a huge risk last year after selling Suarez and bringing in, I think, nine. Now they have decided to change a lot again and totally rebuild. That is always a massive, massive risk. “They have bought in players who have got talent, but they are going to compete against some very settled teams. “Arsenal, (Manchester) United, (Manchester) City and Chelsea are making some very subtle adjustments to their squad and Liverpool are changing everything every year. I’m not convinced it is the right approach. It is too much in two off-seasons.” Comolli was brought in by Liverpool’s owners Fenway Sports Group after their takeover of the club in 2010 but left 18 months later after mixed results in the transfer market. Suarez was the headline success story during his tenure but other players such as Andy Carroll, Charlie Adam, Stewart Downing and Sebastian Coates made little or no impact at Anfield. Jordan Henderson, signed for £16million in 2011, was also considered a disappointment at the time but has since blossomed to become one of the team’s integral players and was appointed captain this summer. Press Association
Facebook Twitter Google+ The question mark surrounding Syracuse’s offense loomed heading into its season opener. The Orange had lost top points scorer and “quarterback” Dylan Donahue to graduation. Before the season, SU head coach John Desko said senior Jordan Evans, the most experienced attack and wearer of No. 22, needed to step up.On Saturday, Evans did just that, helping facilitate the offense like Desko asked. And he was not alone. Senior Nick Mariano mirrored Evans’ production as the duo filled the quarterback gap to combine for six goals and nine assists. The pair orchestrated No. 6 Syracuse’s (1-0) fourth consecutive season-opening win against Siena (0-1), 19-6.“(Evans and Mariano) played well and finished well,” Desko said. “They played well together because of how they understand the offense.”On three separate occasions, Evans and Mariano were a part of putting together three or more consecutive Syracuse scores. The duo assisted each other twice during a five-point streak mid-game that pushed SU’s lead to double-digits and the offense clicked in the team’s first game without Donahue since 2013.In the third quarter, Siena’s goalie Aaron Lewis picked up the ball off the ground and darted to his left. Evans ran at Lewis, who tried turning and firing the ball across the field to his teammate. When he began to pass, Evans knocked his stick deflected the ball down.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textQuickly, he scooped up the ball and found Mariano already cutting toward the empty net. Lewis ran back and dove block the shot. It was too late. Mariano registered his third goal.On 12 different scoring plays for SU, Evans or Mariano had assisted or scored. Evans’ career-high eight total points was quickly followed with Mariano’s career-high of seven. For Mariano’s six shots on goal, Evans was right behind with five. The two seemed to riff off each other’s momentum as SU quickly pulled away after a slow start in the first frame.“End of the first quarter, Nick and I looked at each other,” Evans said, “and I told him this is the best I’ve played with a duo since I’ve been (at Syracuse).”While Mariano or Evans had possession, the rest of the team ran off-ball cuts toward the net. Keeping their heads up and quickly making decisions led to multiple opportunities. Like one particular goal from Brendan Bomberry to put SU up 10 with 6:16 to go in the third quarter.Mariano saw Bomberry cutting right around the cage and instinctively pulled the defenseman toward him. Mariano lofted a pass high that Bomberry reached to grab. The junior transfer wound up and made it 13-3.“It was all with our guys off ball,” Mariano said. “Our offense is facilitated through everyone; it doesn’t matter who is gonna get the points.”There doesn’t need to be a singular quarterback, Desko said, that the offense needs to run through. Instead, it seems Syracuse has two signal-callers working in tandem.And Mariano and Evans are entering just their second year together as teammates. If Saturday’s performance is any indication, the pair might continue SU’s offensive success without a hiccup.“It’s good to have someone else who really knows the game inside-out,” Evans said, “and knows where to be at the right time.”Evans is not Donahue. Neither is Mariano. But that did not matter in Syracuse’s season opener. Comments Published on February 11, 2017 at 8:36 pm Contact Charlie: email@example.com | @charliedisturco
CHARLES CITY — A Mason City man who pleaded guilty to defrauding the state of Iowa out of benefits has been given probation and a suspended sentence.39-year-old Brian Sachen was charged last June with first-degree theft in Floyd County after authorities say he received over $10,000 in government benefits for his son after he was removed from Sachen’s custody by the Iowa Department of Human Services. Sachen is accused of failing to properly notify state officials that he no longer had custody of his son.Sachen pleaded guilty back in January. District Judge Colleen Weiland last week sentenced him to a ten year suspended prison sentence with credit for time served and placed him on five years probation. Sachen was also fined $1000, which also was suspended.