Pacquiao conqueror Horn wins top Aussie award

first_imgJake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny Kings open title defense vs vengeance-seeking Bolts Pacquiao pulled out of a planned rematch in Australia later his year, with Horn close to finalizing another opponent to defend his World Boxing Organisation welterweight title.Englishman Gary Corcoran is shaping up as the most likely challenger, with the fight expected to be in Brisbane in December, local reports have said. LATEST STORIES Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Jeff Horn. PHOTO FROM SPORTS AUSTRALIA HALL OF FAME INSTAGRAM ACCOUNTSYDNEY—Boxer Jeff Horn’s stunning upset of Filipino great Manny Pacquiao has earned him one of Australia’s top sporting honors as the most inspirational athlete of the year.The unheralded 29-year-old stunned the boxing world with a unanimous 12-round decision over Pacquiao in Brisbane on July 2 in a hotly contested result that rattled the Philippines.ADVERTISEMENTcenter_img “I can remember growing up being inspired by previous winners such as Cathy Freeman and Ian Thorpe.“To know I am potentially inspiring the future generation of athletes like these guys have done for me is an incredible feeling.”Horn said he still sometimes found it hard to believe he took down one of the world’s greatest ever fighters, who has won world titles in an unprecedented eight weight divisions.READ: Jeff Horn’s vision comes to fruition with win over Pacquiao“Many days I have thought to myself, did that really happen? It’s been very hectic since the win but recognition and awards like this certainly help,” he said.ADVERTISEMENT Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson READ: Horn stuns Pacquiao for unanimous decision winIn recognition, he walked away with ‘The Don’ award at the annual Sport Australia Hall Of Fame dinner in Melbourne on Thursday evening.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smogNamed after cricketer Donald Bradman, prior winners of the prize include swimmer Ian Thorpe, runner Cathy Freeman, cyclist Cadel Evans, hurdler Sally Pearson, golfer Jason Day and last year’s recipient jockey Michelle Payne.“It is massive,” Horn said, calling it a career highlight. Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? MOST READ View commentslast_img read more

Argentinian footballer Carlos Tevez’s father kidnapped, then released

first_imgIn this March 26, 2014 file photo, Juventus forward Carlos Tevez celebrates at the end of a Series A soccer match between Juventus and Parma at the Juventus stadium, in Turin, Italy. Photo: APThe lawyer for Carlos Tevez said the father of the Argentina and Juventus star was kidnapped on Tuesday, but was released eight hours later and appeared to be physically unharmed.Lawyer Gustavo Galasso said the forward’s father was “is in good shape” as he announced the news about Segundo Tevez to reporters in Argentina. He asked television stations not to transmit live from the home of the player’s family outside the Argentine capital.Police did not immediately provide information about the incident. But Argentine TV station C5N said Tevez was set free after a payment of $400,000. Galasso did not confirm this.In Italy, Juventus said that it gave Tevez permission to travel for “family reasons,” but reports in Italy said he was not going back to Argentina following the release.Local reports said Tevez’s father was kidnapped by unknown assailants around sunrise but offered few other details.Tevez played for Argentina in the 2006 and 2010 World Cups, but was not picked this time despite being one of the top players in the Italian league. Germany defeated Argentina 1-0 in the World Cup final earlier this month.last_img read more