Superluminal, Nuclear Affair fancied for feature races

first_img NUCLEAR AFFAIR, a classy three-year-old filly from the stables of Gary Subratie, is coming off a fast-time win over this trip in the Seek Exercise Book Trophy on August 20. Now back to good form and Robert Halledeen retaining the ride, this year’s 1000 Guinea winner will not go down easily as she will report even fitter for this race. Stable-companion BRAWN, CAMPESINO and topweight PHINEAS are all ideally suited to the distance and should make it close, especially PHINEAS, who has beaten some of the best horses in the past year, including ‘Horse of the Year’ SEEKING MY DREAM in last November’s CTL Invitational Mile. Other firm fancies on the card are DREAMLINER, with leading jockey Omar Walker aboard in the seventh race over the straight for the Nasatol Trophy, UNBREAKABLE to repeat in the third, SEEKING THE DAWN in the fourth and BURNING MEDIC in the eighth. TODAY’S 10-race programme at Caymanas Park will feature the open allowance race over 1300 metres for the Saint Cecelia Cup and the overnight allowance race over 2000 metres for the Kenneth Mattis O.D. Memorial Trophy. With the 2015 St Leger winner SUPERLUMINAL now back to winning form, having scored decisively over 1400 metres recently, the four-year-old son of Natural Selection ought to be followed, especially over the distance at which he won the St Leger in July last year as a 35-1 outsider. Paul ‘Country’ Francis will again ride SUPERLUMINAL from the convenient mark of 53.0kg and should get the job done ahead of proven course horse, TIMEFORARMS, with apprentice Bebeto Harvey aboard. A more competitive race is the annual renewal of the Saint Cecelia Cup to be contest by 10 horses, including the recent winners NUCLEAR AFFAIR, PHINEAS and TRADITIONAL PRINCE, as well as CAMPESINO, BRAWN and DREAMCOMETRUE, who have been running well in recent months. FITTER FOR THE RACElast_img read more

Transit for seniors may shift

first_imgMONTEBELLO – Montebello City Council members this week will consider approving a pilot program that would allow a private company to take over Dial-A-Ride services for seniors and the disabled. MidValley Yellow Cab has proposed operating the Dial-A-Ride service, which is now run by the city’s transportation department. Under Yellow Cab’s proposal, which the council will look at at its meeting Wednesday, the company says it can save the city money while increasing service hours. But exactly how much MidValley would charge riders, along with its proposed service hours, won’t be discussed until after the council approves opening negotiations with the company, said Laura Cornejo, strategic planning manager for Montebello’s transportation department. In fiscal year 2006-07, the city spent $384,760 on its Dial-A-Ride service, which provides in-city transportation to seniors and the disabled using five Americans with Disabilities Act-compliant vans. About 14,700 riders used the service during that period, Cornejo said. The Dial-A-Ride program is available to all Montebello seniors 62 and older and to qualified disabled residents any age and their attendants. It runs from 8:15 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday and from 8:15 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. Sunday. Passengers pay $1.10 per ride. Once details of MidValley’s proposals are worked out, and if the council approves the plan, the company could begin providing services in June, Cornejo said. After three months, city officials will evaluate the service to see whether Montebello will continue with MidValley. “Customer service is key,” said Cornejo. “It’s one of our most popular services, so we will definitely want MidValley to provide the same or superior customer service.” sandra.molina@sgvn.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3028 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more