RelatedPosts Suarez agrees Atletico terms Messi becomes football’s second billionaire + Top 10 Koeman hints at different approach from Barca after friendly win Netherlands forward Steven Bergwijn scored just past the hour mark to secure a hard-fought win over Poland in their opening Nations League clash on Friday.The hosts won by a lone goal as heavy home pressure finally paid dividends at the Johan Cruyff Arena. The Dutch, runners-up in last year’s inaugural edition of the competition, were playing their first game since the departure of Coach Ronald Koeman to Barcelona last month, but kept up their crisp performances of the last two years.Bergwijn tapped the ball home in the 61st minute after a characteristic sweeping move from the Netherlands, playing under interim Coach Dwight Lodeweges in their League A Group 1 match.Frenkie de Jong’s sweeping ball and Hans Hateboer’s assist gave Tottenham Hotspur’s Bergwijn the simple task of finishing from close range to score his first international goal.De Jong had hit the upright with the last touch of the first half, after a clever flick over the top of the defence by Memphis Depay.De Jong chested the ball down and swiveled a shot toward goal, only to be denied by the woodwork. There was also a good chance for Depay early in the second half but he was caught unawares when the Polish defence failed to clear an incoming cross.Poland were missing Robert Lewandowski after the Bayern Munich striker was given time off, following Champions League success last month but saw Krzysztof Piatek force a good save out of Jasper Cillessen just past the half hour.His side-footed shot was parried away by the keeper after Poland had split the Dutch defence with a quick counter.However, it was their only real chance as the hosts dominated the match.“Not many of our players had many minutes in the legs but we trained hard this week and worked well and we achieved a very professional performance as a result,” said Dutch Captain Virgil van Dijk. Reuters/NAN.Tags: BarcelonaNetherlandsPolandronald koemanUEFA Nations League
After receiving a No. 6 seed in the NCAA Women’s Volleyball Tournament, the University of Wisconsin volleyball team had to defend home territory two more times to stay alive in the big dance. The Badgers did so by taking down UW-Green Bay and Pepperdine over the weekend to advance to the Sweet 16.Their first battle came against in-state rival Green Bay Friday night. The Badgers got off to a quick start, jumping to a 10–5 lead before Green Bay called a timeout to think of a way to shut down Dana Rettke and company in the front row. But whatever Green Bay tried to do to disrupt a near-perfect Badger offense didn’t work. The Badgers rolled to a 25–9 opening set win without a hitting error through the set.The Badgers started out the second set cold, dropping the first five points to Green Bay. After a rally, the Badgers reclaimed the lead 7–6. The score would stay close throughout the whole set, but it took a couple extra points for the Badgers to win by two. After both defenses caused some long volleys, the second set ended in the Badgers’ favor 27–25.Volleyball: Wisconsin to take on UW-Green Bay in first round of NCAA TournamentThe No. 6 University of Wisconsin women’s volleyball team (22-6, 15-5 Big Ten) is preparing to take on UW-Green Bay Read…“I liked how our mentality was just kind of staying with it,” head coach Kelly Sheffield said when asked about the team’s response to the second set.The third set went more as Wisconsin had planned as they got off to another great start leading 9–2. Molly Haggerty tacked on three more kills to put her at a match-high 10 kills on the night. With the help of both Haggerty’s offense and defense, Wisconsin opened the tournament with a clean sweep, earning a 25–15 third set victory.Haggerty led the Badgers in both kills, with 10, and digs, with 15. Tiffany Clark also had 15 digs in a defensive battle of liberos. Rettke and Tionna Williams both stuffed five blocks, and Sydney Hilley had 36 assists.The next Badger opponent came Saturday as the Pepperdine Waves, who beat the Northern Iowa Panthers in a four-set battle Friday night, visited Madison.A Clark ace and back-to-back Haggerty kills established an early lead for Wisconsin in the first set. The rally continued for the Badgers with Grace Loberg getting a kill on four of the next six Wisconsin points for a 25–16 set win.The next set was all Badgers and then some. Williams, stepping up in her last home game as a Badger, recorded back-to-back kills to put Wisconsin up 7–4. Thanks to another impressive night from Haggerty, the Badgers cruised to a 25–15 second set win.Volleyball: Wisconsin closes out regular season with critical road victories against Rutgers, Penn StateThe No. 8 University of Wisconsin women’s volleyball team (22-6, 15-5 Big Ten) wrapped up their regular season with an Read…With their backs against the wall and their season on the line, Pepperdine dug deep and fought with everything they had left. The amazing serving team found their niche as Blossom Sato and Hannah Frohling served an 11–1 rally, helping force a fourth set with a 25–15 third set win.But the Badgers were looking to bounce back on their path to yet another Sweet 16. The team quickly put set three behind them and came back out to dominate in set four. With more great hitting from Loberg and Haggerty, the Badgers packed their bags for the next round with a 25–12 match-winning set.Leading the way for the Badgers was Williams with 14 kills. She received a standing ovation from the Badger crowd as she exited the UW Field House for the last time.“It was just incredible, the amount of support I have had over the four years being here. Going to the Sweet 16 with my teammates again is just incredible,” Williams said.Sydney Hilley had a big night leading in both assists and digs, recording 48 and 19 respectively, and recording six blocks alongside Rettke.The Badgers advance to the Sweet 16 for the sixth year in a row. They will take on the University of San Diego in Illinois Friday at 1:30 p.m. The game will stream online through ESPN3 with live stats at UWBadgers.com.
West Indies Women will intensify preparations for the defense of their Twenty20 World Cup title when they undergo a month-long training camp in St. John’s, Antigua, starting next week.Fourteen players, headed by captain Stafanie Taylor, will be put through their paces at the April 30 to May 30 camp by head coach Hendy Springer and his assistant Stuart Williams.Director of Cricket, Jimmy Adams, said the camp was an important phase of the team’s preparation as it allowed them to access key resources.“CWI is cognizant of the difficulties and challenges faced by the Women cricketers in getting the best training facilities and world class support in their individual territories,” said Adams. “Therefore, this is a move by CWI to address that issue and to get them the relevant support staff to best prepare them for international cricket.”Batsman Kyshona Knight and leg-spinner Afy Fletcher will take no part in the camp because of injury while senior all-rounder Deandra Dottin is unavailable due to personal reasons.Teenager Shabika Gajnabi, who has led Guyana’s Under-19 side for the last two years, is the lone new face in the training squad.The 17-year-old batsman will be joined by the likes of teenaged opener Hayley Matthews, former skipper Merissa Aguilleira and Shamilia Connell, all of whom toured New Zealand recently.West Indies will play host to the ICC T20 World Cup from November 9-24.SQUAD – Stafanie Taylor, Merissa Aguilleira, Shemaine Campbelle, Shamilia Connell, Britney Cooper, Shabika Gajnabi, Kycia Knight, Hayley Matthews, Anisa Mohammed, Chedean Nation, Reniece Boyce, Felicia Walters, Akeira Peters, Shekera Selman.
Internal Affairs Minister Morris M. Dukuly Tuesday invoked what he called “The Fifth Amendment,” refusing to expound on his recent allegations that a lawmaker of the 53rd Legislature had made a written request to transfer US$800,000 to his or her personal account from the County Development Fund and the Social Development Fund of a particular county.The Internal Affairs Minister, however, informed the legislature that he would avail himself to that body in executive session if they (Senate) deemed it necessary, where he promised to disclose the name of the lawmaker who made the request.It was not known up to press time Tuesday whether Minister Dukuly made good on his promise by disclosing the name of the lawmaker who made the request. Executive session decisions are not for public consumption, at least not immediately.However, an authoritative source close to the leadership of the Senate last night hinted to this newspaper that during the executive session, Minister Dukuly contradicted his earlier assertion about the US$800,000, and he may likely face contempt charges when he reappears again soon before that body. The source did not elaborate. Minister Dukuly made the assertion about the US$800,000 request last Thursday when lawmakers grilled him about his decision to place a moratorium on the disbursement of county and social development funds.The reference by Minister Dukuly to the “5th Amendment” prompted some legal minds of the Senate to leaf through the Constitution, only to conclude that no such provision is contained in the country’s organic law.Following the Minister’s hours of standing before the Elders of the Legislature, and receiving a barrage of questions, the Senate saw the need to go into executive session; but only after Minister Dukuly, who once served as Speaker of the House of Representatives, frowned upon the lack of courtesy afforded him, recalling that all the time he served as Speaker, he could not recollect meting out such treatment to a senior government official invited to appear before lawmakers. Minister Dukuly’s summoniing by the Senate plenary followed a loaded dossier of accusations by a cross section of Senators that the Ministry of Internal Affairs was taking unilateral decisions that need the blessing of Legislative committees having oversight of its activities.Among other things, the Senators complained to plenary that Minister Dukuly was in the habit of deleting names of chiefs with the excuse that they are either too old to function, or that most of them have long past the age of retirement.Other Senators accused Minister Dukuly of placing a moratorium on the disbursement of CDF and SDF to counties.But during his earlier appearance Thursday, Minister Dukuly clarified that he did not place a moratorium on the CDF or SDF, but had rather instituted a selective review process.An hour before Minister Dukuly’s appearance Tuesday, Grand Gedeh County Senator Alphonso Gaye, wrote the Senate plenary requesting that a committee be set up to investigate the US$800,000 allegation, but his colleagues voted that the Minister be asked to elaborate by naming the lawmaker.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)