Members discuss co-exchange issue

first_imgThe Saint Mary’s Student Government Association (SGA) continued to discuss the co-exchange program and explored ways it could partner with Notre Dame’s student government at its meeting Wednesday.   Last week, SGA held a forum regarding co-exchange, which was meant to allow student voices to be hear, student body president Rachael Chesley said.  But she said many students did not feel the administration listened to what they had to say. “I think in the upcoming weeks, we are going to stay on the administration because I don’t want them to think that we’ve forgotten about this and that students are suddenly OK,” she said. Chesley encouraged SGA to consider creative ways for the administration to make up for the lack of co-exchange meal ticket availability. SGA also created a new finance committee, which will be responsible for creating the budget, as well as working with clubs and organizations for sponsorship purposes. In the past, much of SGA’s meeting time was spent discussing whether or not to give clubs money, which hindered productivity, Chesley said. “Now, the finance committee will take care of that end of things,” she said. SGA also discussed several partnership opportunities with Notre Dame’s student government. Chesley said there were two opportunities to work directly with the University’s student leaders. SGA planned to co-sponsor an event where attorney C.L. Lindsay would visit the community and to co-sponsor a program that reaches out to local businesses and creates a partnership so students can receive discounts. “It will encourage students to go out to the local businesses, which will help them, and it’ll help students because it will be more cost-effective to go out,” Chesley said. “Also, it’s going to benefit the community.”last_img read more

New York State marks one month with low COVID-19 infection rate

first_img“As we close out this Labor Day Weekend, I urge everyone to remain smart so we can continue to celebrate our progress in the weeks and months ahead. It took the work of all of us to get here, and to protect this progress we will need to all continue to wash our hands, wear our masks, remain socially distant and above all, stay New York tough”, the governor stated. According to a news release from Governor Andrew Cuomo’s Office, .88% of Sunday’s coronavirus tests came back positive. It was the 31st day where the state’s infection rate remained below a percentage point. The release also stated that the State Liquor Authority and State Police Task Force visited more than 1,000 establishments in New York City and Long Island. Seven of those establishments failed to comply with state requirements. ALBANY (WBNG) — New York State celebrated the Labor Day weekend with another milestone, keeping the percentage of positive COVID-19 tests below 1% for an entire month. “Thanks to the hard work of New Yorkers, our state has now gone a full month with our COVID infection rate remaining below one percent,” Governor Cuomo said in a statement. “Our numbers have continued to remain stable even as we reach new milestones in our phased, data-driven reopening.”last_img read more

Petrobras strikes pre-salt oil in Marlim Sul area

first_imgOffshore Energy Today Staff Brazilian oil company Petrobras has made an oil discovery in the Campos Basin’s pre-salt layer, in the area of Marlim Sul field.This is the first commercial discovery of oil in the pre-salt layer of the Marlim Sul area. The discovery occurred during drilling of Poraquê Alto well, at final depth of 4,568 m.The well which identified the discovery is located 115 km off the coast of Rio de Janeiro State, at 1,107 m water depth.The discovery was confirmed by profile data, gas detector, formation testing by cable, and fluid samples. The analysis of current data indicates carbonate reservoirs of good porosity and permeability features, at 4,420 m depth and 45 m thick with oil presence, Petrobras said.“This result demonstrates the potential for new discoveries in mature basins, with production infrastructure already deployed,” Petrobras said.FPSO scrappedInterestingly, this is not the first time this week Offshore Energy Today has reported on the Marlim Sul area.OET on Wednesday published an article on SBM Offshore selling its previously demobilized FPSO Marlim Sul for recycling.SBM said in its 2017 half-year financial results this week that the FPSO, removed from the Petrobras-operated oil field, was sold for recycling and transferred off the balance sheet in July 2017.The FPSO Marlim Sul worked at the Marlim Sul field for Petrobras for over a decade before the end of service. The vessel had been delivered to SBM by Keppel, following a conversion from a VLCC in 2004.Worth noting, the FPSO was not the only production unit at the field. Currently, Petrobras is using the P-56 semi-submersible platform for oil production at the Marlim Sul.last_img read more

Wood Camp Residents Want Dumpsite Removed

Wood Camp residents have appealed for the removal of a garbage site located at the camp’s main junction in Paynesville because it is hazardous to their health.The dumpsite is located in front of the former Parker Paint Company.Wood Camp Community Chairman Jonny Bookai said the residents initially accepted the location of the dumpsite at the junction, but “now we feel that it could create a health hazard for the residents.”Chairman Bookai wants the Paynesville City Corporation (PCC) Sanitation and Waste Management Department to consider the relocation of the dumpsite. Residents interviewed including pharmacy and restaurant operators expressed dissatisfaction with the location of the site and want the PCC to do something about it.They contended that each time the garbage disposal truck and the frontend loader come to clear the garbage, a hole left by their previous scooping up of the rubbish, gets deeper. A look at the site by this reporter, confirmed their report.They said with only a few weeks to the rainy season, the hole filled with garbage and water could become a death trap for children sent to dispose of garbage at the dumpsite.“If that hole remains open it will also serve as a breeding ground for air and water borne diseases such as malaria, fever and many others,” said pharmacy operator Patrick Suah.Suah said pressure should be exerted on the PCC Sanitation and Waste Management Department to relocate the dumpsite.Restaurant proprietor Caroline Washington claimed that her business is facing serious problems from the increasing flies and mosquitos that come from the dumpsite. She, however, suggested that the garbage should be collected every day.When contacted Wednesday, an officer at the PCC Public Relations Department said the Solid Waste Management Department had removed the ‘official’ garbage bin from the dumpsite “based on a complaint filed by the management of the Parker Paint Company a few months ago.We collect the garbage from the dumpsite because residents continue to dump there every day,” he said.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) read more

NHL notes: Anaheim, L.A. to open in London

first_imgThese will be the NHL’s first regular-season games abroad since the San Jose Sharks and Calgary Flames played two games in Tokyo to start the 1998-99 season. A year earlier, the Ducks and Vancouver Canucks played twice on the same makeshift rink set up in the arena that played host to the 1964 Olympic swimming and diving events. In addition to the games, the Kings will hold part of their training camp in London and play several exhibition games against Austrian club teams. “That will be intense,” Kings coach Marc Crawford said. “Those teams will be trying so hard to beat an NHL team, and that intensity will help us.” When Crawford coached Vancouver, the Canucks held their 2000-01 training camp in Sweden after drafting Swedish twins Daniel and Henrik Sedin. London called, and the Kings and Ducks answered. The Southern California rivals will open the 2007-08 season in a newly refurbished arena in downtown London on Sept.29-30 as the NHL attempts to expand interest in the game beyond the North American shores. News of the games leaked out several weeks ago, but the dates were formally announced before the Kings and Ducks faced off Thursday night at Staples Center. The Anschutz Entertainment Group, owner of the Kings and Staples Center, owns the O2 Arena in London. center_img Crawford said he would probably bring three goalies, eight defensemen and 14 forwards to the London portion of the training camp as a hedge against injuries. Fatigue was an issue for the Ducks and Canucks when they returned from their two-game trip to Japan to start the 1997-98 season, with the Ducks finishing second-to-last and the Canucks finishing last in the Western Conference that season. Ducks general manager Brian Burke jumped at the chance to start next season in London, but asked the NHL to make grant him three favors. First, he wished to have extra days off built into the Ducks’ schedule before they left for England. Second, he asked the league to give the team days off upon its return to North American. Third, he asked for the team to resume its schedule in the East. The league agreed. “We’re honored,” Burke said. “The Kings are going because it’s their building. The league asked us and we said, `Yes,’ immediately. We’ve got to grow this game.” – Elliott Teaford Red Wings’ Zetterberg out 2-3 weeks: Detroit Red Wings forward and leading scorer Henrik Zetterberg is expected to be out two to three weeks with an inflamed disk in his back. Knee injury sidelines goalie for rest of season: Blue Jackets goaltender Pascal Leclaire, limited to 24 games this season because of injuries, will miss the rest of the season with knee problems. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img