Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netAteneo coach Oliver Almadro and his Lady Eagles needed to battle their way to the top of UAAP Season 81 women’s volleyball.And he warned his wards that things would only get tougher.ADVERTISEMENT Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history Eugenie Bouchard’s bid for Australian Open spot ends in qualifying “It was kind of a wake-up call in the first set seeing how they played and they did a really good job,” said Kat Tolentino, who added 10 points, the same output of Ponggay Gaston. “I think it’s their mentality that they have nothing to lose. If they win, then it’s a good boost for them. But if they lose they’re rookies so it’s not as much pressure [as it is] for us.”And if Ateneo needs any reminder just how tough the second round will be, La Salle provided it in the second game as the Lady Spikers stayed at the heels of the Lady Eagles with a 25-15, 25-19, 26-24 victory over last year’s Finals foe Far Eastern U.It was the fifth win in seven games for La Salle, which kept Ateneo’s 6-1 record within reach.“We have to put more effort and more sacrifices this second round. Teams will want to beat us, they will play even better. So hopefully the positivity and energy will manifest in the second round,” said Almadro.“I think the second round will definitely be harder because of the adjustments of the teams,” added Tolentino.ADVERTISEMENT Rogue cops marked as Gamboa’s targets in his appointment as PNP chief Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award View comments Fun and games help Beermen surround newcomer Romeo with family atmosphere Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? FEU was in it in the third set, overhauling a six-point deficit to take set point at 24-23. But Tin Tiamzon found her range and La Salle’s vaunted blocking clicked just in time so that by the time Des Cheng shuttled in the winning point, the Lady Spikers deflated the Lady Tamaraws’ fight. —WITH A REPORT FROM BONG LOZADA, INQUIRER.NETSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college MOST READ Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra LATEST STORIES Stunned in the opening set by a young National University trying to pull off another statement win, Ateneo needed to dig deep to fetch a 23-25, 25-17, 25-23, 25-17 triumph Saturday at Filoil Flying V Centre and keep its winning streak intact.“The first round was really a tough one for us,” said Almadro. “We really learned a lot from here but I’m telling my players that going into the second round, it will not be any easier.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsThe Lady Bulldogs showed just how much opponents will be clawing at the Lady Eagles. Given little hope against a team that entered the game on a five-game win streak, NU drew inspiration from a gutsy victory over University of the Philippines to carve out an opening set win.“They really showed us that despite being rookies, they can compete against veterans and all of the teams in the UAAP actually,” said skipper Bea de Leon, who finished with 13 points, behind Maddie Madayag’s team-high 17. “That was one of the toughest games we played actually for me.”
…Opposition Leader says speaker should be held responsible …media instructed to leave Chaos broke out in the National Assembly earlier today after police were called to remove Opposition Parliamentarian Juan Edghill after he refused to carry out an instruction by house speaker, Barton Scotland.In responding to the ruckus, Leader of the Opposition, Bharrat Jagedo is calling for immediate actions to be taking, contending that the Speaker should be held responsible.“This is not going to do down easily in this country,” Jagdeo told the media.Meanwhile, Clerk of the National Assembly, Sherlock Isaacs informed the media that the speaker had instructed them to leave the Chamber. Additionally, the air-conditioning, lights and Wi-Fi in the parliamentary chambers were all switched off.Details will follow in the December 12, 2017 edition of the Guyana Times.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Musician/entertainer Dave Winstone will perform New Orleans jazz, 3:30 p.m., Calabasas Library, 23975 Park Sorrento. Call (818) 225-7616. Mail Datebook entries – including time, date, location and phone number – to Daily News City Desk, P.O. Box 4200, Woodland Hills, CA 91365; fax (818) 713-0058; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. WEDNESDAY Conejo Valley Garden Club will meet, 9:30 a.m., United Methodist Church, 1000 E. Janss Road, Thousand Oaks. Call (805) 497-2949. “Rumpelstiltskin”, 9:30 and 11:30 a.m., noon, Janet & Ray Scherr Forum Theatre, Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza, 2100 Thousand Oaks Blvd. Tickets: Call (800) 606-0424. Taste of the South Black History Month celebration, 3 p.m., Van Nuys Recreation Center, 14301 Vanowen St. Call (818) 765-8131.
The nearly 400 trees now lining a stretch of Imperial Highway – in Los Angeles-owned property just north of El Segundo – could be uprooted to make way for a water filtration system, but workers reportedly will put the trees back afterward. “We’re going to protect these trees,” said Lauren Skinner, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles Public Works Department. The city’s promise comes as a relief to El Segundo city officials and Tree Musketeers, the group that organized the forest’s planting and had feared the project would require the removal of the trees. “It’s a huge relief, but we have all this experience with this, and until all the agencies with their fingers in the pie decide – we’re going to hold our breath,” said Gail Church, executive director of Tree Musketeers. El Segundo City Councilman Eric Busch, who has worked closely with the small nonprofit group, said the plan to retain trees was “reassuring.” The Tree Musketeers group is no stranger to tackling big-city bureaucracy: Its volunteers worked on and off since 1987 for permission from Los Angeles to plant trees on the barren Imperial Highway median from Sepulveda Boulevard to Main Street. The group planted its first batch of saplings in March 2005, and added about 120 trees every spring since. With 400 trees lining the corridor now, next year’s final planting will bring the total to 500, Church said. As the group recently began applying for permits to install a watering system along the highway, Tree Musketeers received word that the city’s filtration project was picking up steam and the saplings would be removed, Church said. Though engineers haven’t started formal design work for the project – essentially a deep trough filled with gravel and covered in native plants so that rainwater flows into the ground rather than the ocean – any trees that needed removal would be put back into the ground, Skinner said. Expected to begin next summer, the endeavor will be paid for with funds from Proposition 0, a $500 million bond measure approved by Los Angeles voters in 2004 to reduce polluted storm water runoff, Skinner said. Church said plants and trees replanted after uprooting have a 50 percent survival rate. “It’s not something you want to do willy-nilly,” she said, “but this is the best alternative.” With another batch of trees slated for planting in March, Church hoped Tree Musketeers would get involved in the city’s design process, set to begin in coming months. email@example.comWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! TREE MUSKETEERS: L.A. public works project will temporarily interfere with saplings. By Andrea Woodhouse STAFF WRITER An El Segundo youth group that planted a grove of trees has been assured that the fledgling urban forest will survive an upcoming Los Angeles city public works project.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card And in Hovey’s case – learning to empathize with those excluded. “I feel upset,” he told other students about being left out. The 13-year-old later said he will remember the experience when he helps others faced with such problems. He wants to be the mediator between the target and the bully and to help both find common ground on the playground. It’s all part of the peer-mediation program that began six years ago at Placerita Junior High, where selected students are on call throughout the day as referees in peer conflict. Problems range from misunderstandings to intimidation and bullying. Referrals come from other students, administrators and teachers. Mediators listen to both sides and then help plan out solutions to resolve the issues. Sometimes the parties agree just to drop a dispute. Other times they decide never to talk again. STEVENSON RANCH – Seventh-grader Mark Hovey stood in the “loser corner” and stared at the floor until he was joined by other castoffs. The somber bunch watched as others in the room chatted it up and loudly talked about their own popularity. It was a lesson in exclusion, part of peer-mediation training Tuesday for about 125 middle school students from three local school districts who want to help others solve conflicts at school. Students convened at West Ranch High School for the half-day exercises in problem-solving techniques, communication and anger control. So far, student mediators have handled 60 cases, with only two situations requiring another round of talks, said Leah Summers, Placerita counselor. Summers said it helps to have students instead of adults as mediators because when the kids sit down at the table, they listen well to one another and follow through with their resolutions. “Amazingly, they stick to it,” she said. “I think it’s because, for the first time, someone sat down and listened to either one – the bully or the target.” On Tuesday, 13-year-old Amanda Eyrich and a handful of other peer mediators from Placerita taught the ropes to students from the William S. Hart Union High School District, Castaic Union School District and Fillmore Unified School District. Eyrich said the main problems are “boy stuff and girl drama.” She said problems usually start with boyfriend “stealing” or name-calling and sometimes escalate. “They can start as tiny things and end up as big problems,” she said. Jon Curwen, former Sierra Vista Junior High School principal, spearheaded peer mediation in the Hart district years ago and gave students pointers to help shape their skills, such as watching for little agreements during the mediations and using the word “agreement” often to help both parties shed their anger. Kathryn Vargas, 13, sees girls at school get angry at one another. Though she has never seen these quarrels escalate to brawls, the girls make their hostility clear, she said. “I see girls get mad at each other,” she said. “Girls stare and make faces, but they never fist-fight, probably because they don’t want to get in trouble.” Vargas said the communication skills she learned on Tuesday should help some of her peers at school. Sue Doyle, (661) 257-5254 firstname.lastname@example.org 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
The Killotto had no winner this week. The numbers were 20, 21, 26 and 28. There was no winner of match 3. Next week’s Killotto jackpot is €4,350 and Match 3 is €120. You can now do the Killotto online. Visit www.locallotto.ie and go to the Killybegs page.There was no winner of the Bingo Jackpot. Consolation prizes went to Nora Kennedy, Kilcar. Next week’s Jackpot will be €1,450 on 46 calls.The club would like to express its sympathy to the Byrne Family in Dunkineely on the death of Charles and the McGuire family in Ardara on the death of Thomas. The club would like to thank players and members who attended both funerals. GAA NEWS: KILLYBEGS CLUB NOTES was last modified: June 26th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:killybegs gaa notes
Senator Jimmy Harte has welcomed the news from Minister Alan Kelly who announced that the Town Council will receive €232,000 in funding for active travel.” I am delighted that Minister Kelly on a visit to Letterkenny has approved funding and it will facilitate and encourage active travel around the area,” he said.The funding includes elements of walking and cycling, increased use of public transport and a town centre parking strategy but the principal emphasis is on behavioural change given the dramatic growth in industry, retail and cultural infrastructure since 2002. The proposal includes all elements of the community and has a strong sense of local support and enthusiasm for the changes proposed.The following works are proposed:•Drop kerbs, tactile paving and repair road surface along front of Mount Errigal Hotel.•Drop kerbs & Tactile Paving at Creamary. •Repair roadway and paving at Church of Irish Martyrs, include for drop kerbs, tactile and paving surface.•Drop kerbs and tactile paving at entrance to ALDI.•Footpath improvements in Market Square and part of the Main Street area.• New pedestrian / school warden crossing point and improvements, in 5 schools around the cathedral area.•Cycle Infrastructure proposed along the national N56 route and the regional R245/R250 routes. Other works to include softer measures to promote modal shift to include upgrading of existing lighting and signages.FUNDING GRANTED FOR LETTERKENNY ‘ACTIVE TRAVEL’ PROJECTS was last modified: June 28th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Loreto Covent Secondary Schools students have set a new WORLD RECORD for making the most Heart-Shaped-Hand-Gestures at the same time. The kind hearted students decided to attempt the WORLD RECORD and dedicated the love gestures for those effected by the earthquake in Nepal.The current record stood at 554, but the Loreto Convent students managed to smash that and gathered a sensational total of 870! Jason Black, was the special guest, and he made an inspirational speech after the record attempt was broken.The record was also part of celebrating the school’s theme for the year “Great Things are within Your Reach”. What could be greater than a world record?Aoife O’Donnell told Donegal Daily, “The girls wanted to send their love to the victims of the Earthquake in Nepal. “We hope this positive message can bring comfort to those suffering.“The record was organised by the school’ Senior Leadership Team.It was a great success! It’s a great feeling to have been part of a team which set a WORLD RECORD!LORETO CONVENT SHARE THE ‘LOVE’ TO SET NEW WORLD RECORD was last modified: April 30th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:FeaturesHand GesturesLORETO CONVENTlovenewsShareworld record
An information evening has been organised to discuss setting up a Community First Responder group for Milford, Ramelton, and the surrounding areas.A presentation will be given by Mark Callanan, the Community Engagement Officer for the National Ambulance Service.The event will take place at Milford Fire Station at 8pm on Wednesday, February 28th. To find out more, you can contact the following people:Gary Ryan: 0860714988Dave McSpadden: 0879507137Nana McFadden: 0872142753Community First Responder group information evening to be held at Milford Fire Station was last modified: February 25th, 2018 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:community first responder groupMilfordRamelton
Almost six years since the members of Donegal County Council raised concerns over lack of space in the debating chamber in Lifford, tenders are now being sought for a former army barracks in east Donegal to be redeveloped, it has emerged. It is understood that the council are in search of a contractor for a major overhaul of the premises, including office space, locker rooms and additional car spaces.The former Irish Defence Force barracks shut it’s gate over a decade ago, with the Donegal County Council officially taking control of the premises in 2016. The issue of lack of space was originally raised by the Members during a meeting in July 2013 with the local elections on the horizon and a need to accommodate eight new Cllrs. in the Lifford Chamber.The Council, which previously confirmed that some staff will be relocated to the site, owns the former army barracks in Lifford and the matter was addressed in their Budget meeting’s three-year capital budget for 2016-2018.It is being reported that three tenants have expressed interest in the former army barracks – The Office of Public Works, the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection and Donegal ETB, however, a decision has not yet been reached with the education service.Redevelopment of former Lifford army barracks another step closer was last modified: August 3rd, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)