Journalists stripped of accreditation over protest about attack on colleagues

first_img September 7, 2020 Find out more Ukraine escalates “information war” by banning three pro-Kremlin media May 23, 2013 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalists stripped of accreditation over protest about attack on colleagues Crimean journalist “confesses” to spying for Ukraine on Russian TV Reporters Without Borders is appalled by Prime Minister Mykola Azarov’s decision to withdraw the accreditation of 10 journalists who staged a silent protest at a cabinet meeting to draw attention to the impunity enjoyed by those responsible for an attack on two reporters during street demonstrations on 18 May.“The allocation of press accreditation should not be used to ‘cherrypick’ journalists and eliminate those who express views at variance with the government’s,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Ukraine’s media law explicitly states that journalists can only be stripped of their accreditation for ‘gross and repeated violation’ of the rules.“The protest staged during yesterday’s cabinet meeting was calm and silent, and did not prevent ministers from working. Depriving the participating journalists of their accreditation constitutes a disproportionate and arbitrary punishment and should be rescinded at once.“Instead of punishing these journalists, the authorities should be paying attention to their demands. Physical attacks on journalists nearly always go unpunished in Ukraine. This impunity is fuelling an alarming increase in violence against journalists, with at least 80 cases reported last year.“The authorities obviously need to address the 18 May attack, which is now emblematic of the problem because of the attention it has received. But it is also imperative that full and impartial investigations are carried out into all the other attacks on journalists and bloggers, because such a high level of violence and impunity is having a direct impact on freedom of information.”Prime Minister Azarov had just begun speaking at yesterday’s cabinet meeting when the 10 journalists covering the event turned round silently to reveal signs pinned to their backs that said: “Today it is a journalist, tomorrow it will be your wife, your sister or your daughter. Act now!”Azarov was incensed. “What is this show?” he exclaimed. “Leave the room at once.” He then ordered aides to note the names of the journalists and withdraw their press accreditation. “We respect the work of journalists, but don’t turn this meeting into a circus,” he explained.Later yesterday, the prime minister’s press attaché confirmed that instructions had indeed been given to the relevant bodies to withdraw the accreditation of the journalists who “disrupted coverage of the work of the cabinet meeting.” This was “a legal requirement,” he said. The media that employ them have been asked to name replacements.The cabinet meeting protest was prompted by the attack on husband-and-wife journalists Olga Snitsarchuk, a reporter for Pyaty Kanal, and Vladislav Sodel, a Kommersant-Ukraine photographer, while they covered the clashes that occurred during two simultaneous demonstrations in Kiev on 18 May.One of the demonstrations was organized by the three leading opposition groups to demand the release of imprisoned former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko. The other was staged by supporters of the ruling Party of the Regions, who marched under the banner of “Towards Europe, without fascists.”The two journalists were attacked and beaten by athletic youths who were providing security for the pro-government demonstration. They turned on the journalists when they realized they were being filmed. Many Ukrainians were particularly shocked by the fact that police who were nearby did not intervene.Journalists protested within hours of the attack and continued to stage protests in the days that followed to press the authorities to identify the attackers and punish the police officers who failed to intervene.The interior ministry initially announced that it was treating the incident as a case of “minor injuries” (under article 125-1 of the criminal code) but said later said it was also treating it as an “obstruction of a journalist’s legal professional activities” (under article 171). The police announced on 20 May that they were conducting an internal investigation into the inaction of certain officers.One of the reasons for journalists’ anger has been the investigation’s apparent slowness with regard to the main suspect, who was quickly identified by the media thanks to social networks and images of the incident. The main suspect has denied attacking the two reporters, claiming in a video that he just wanted to help Snitsarchuk when she fell.In a 22 May report on the incident, police chief Vitaly Zakharchenko insisted on the professionalism of the police, blamed the unrest on the opposition and claimed that Snitsarchuk had been there as a demonstrator not a reporter. According to the latest reports, the main suspect was finally arrested and charged with hooliganism (under article 296 of the criminal code).Attacks on journalists are common in Ukraine, especially during demonstrations, and 19 out of 20 cases go unpunished. For example, there has still been no result in the investigation into a brutal attack one year ago on Tochka.net reporter Vitaliy Lazebnik although the assailant was immediately identified from photos taken by witnesses.Photo by: Dmitriy Vlasov Help by sharing this information News March 26, 2021 Find out more News Receive email alerts February 26, 2021 Find out morecenter_img UkraineEurope – Central Asia Follow the news on Ukraine Organisation News UkraineEurope – Central Asia to go further News Ukrainian media group harassed by broadcasting authority RSF_en last_img read more

UN nuclear chief says Iran to grant ‘less access’ to program

first_imgLocal NewsUS NewsWorld News By Digital AIM Web Support – February 21, 2021 Facebook WhatsApp Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp TAGS  center_img Pinterest Twitter UN nuclear chief says Iran to grant ‘less access’ to program Facebook Director General of International Atomic Energy Agency, IAEA, Rafael Mariano Grossi from Argentina, speaks to the media after returning from Iran at the Vienna International Airport, Sunday, Feb. 21, 2021. Previous articleShockers solidifying shaky spot in NCAA Tournament fieldNext articleLeicester strengthens top-4 spot in EPL with 2-1 win v Villa Digital AIM Web Supportlast_img read more

Exercise Phoenix Express gets under way in Greece

first_img May 18, 2016 Back to overview,Home naval-today Exercise Phoenix Express gets under way in Greece Authorities Exercise Phoenix Express gets under way in Greece The international maritime exercise Phoenix Express 2016 was kicked off May 17, in the Mediterranean.Navies from Europe, North Africa, and the United States gathered to begin the 10th iteration of the exercise.Phoenix Express is sponsored by U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) and facilitated by U.S. Naval Forces Europe-Africa/U.S. 6th Fleet. It is designed to improve regional cooperation, increase maritime domain awareness information-sharing practices, and operational capabilities to enhance efforts to achieve safety and security in the Mediterranean Sea.This year’s exercise control group will be hosted at the NATO Maritime Interdiction Operations Training Center (NMIOTC) located in Souda Bay, Greece, but training will take place throughout the Mediterranean to include North African nations’ territorial waters.Participating nations in Phoenix Express 2016 include Algeria, Croatia, Greece, Italy, Malta, Mauritania, Morocco, Spain, Tunisia, Turkey and the United States. NATO Shipping Center is also scheduled to participate.The at-sea portion of the exercise will test North African, European, and U.S. forces’ abilities to combat illegal migration, illicit trafficking, and movement of materials for weapons of mass destruction. Additionally, participating forces will work together to practice procedures of search-and-rescue in cases where vessels are in distress.Participants of Phoenix Express will have opportunities to enhance expertise in a number of areas: boarding techniques, search-and-rescue operations, medical casualty response, MOC to MOC communication, and maritime domain awareness tools.A Combined Maritime Operation Center (CMOC), led and comprised of North African navy officers, will form at NMIOTC to manage at-sea operations.While the exercise is facilitated by the U.S. Navy, senior leaders from North African navies have prominent roles in the exercise. A Moroccan officer will oversee the exercise control group; a Tunisian officer will oversee the CMOC; and an Algerian officer will oversee a five-ship surface action group participating in the at-sea phase.U.S. units participating include the dive and rescue salvage ship USNS Grasp (T-ARS 51), and the USS Gravely (DDG 107). Additionally, medical and maritime interdiction operations specialists will assist participating partner nation units during the exercise.center_img View post tag: US Navy View post tag: Phoenix Express Share this articlelast_img read more

Mets’ McNeil carted off vs. Nats after crash into wall

first_img Associated Press Television News Written By LIVE TV SUBSCRIBE TO US First Published: 14th August, 2020 10:38 IST COMMENTcenter_img Last Updated: 14th August, 2020 10:38 IST Mets’ McNeil Carted Off Vs. Nats After Crash Into Wall New York Mets left fielder Jeff McNeil was carted off the field Thursday after crashing into the left field wall in the first inning to rob the Washington Nationals’ Asdrubal Cabrera of a two-run extra-base hit WATCH US LIVE FOLLOW US New York Mets left fielder Jeff McNeil was carted off the field Thursday after crashing into the left field wall in the first inning to rob the Washington Nationals’ Asdrubal Cabrera of a two-run extra-base hit.McNeil, a natural infielder who has been manning both outfielder corners for the Mets since last year, raced at full speed to the warning track and made an impressive lunging catch for the final out of the inning. He crashed into the wall with both arms extended and raised his glove hand as he fell to indicate he had the ball.But McNeil was in obvious pain as he covered his eyes with both hands and yelled before flinging his glove off. He briefly tried getting up but only made it a few steps with a trainer and manager Luis Rojas before sitting back down.McNeil was able to walk to a cart on the warning track before being driven off the field.The Mets said in the fourth inning McNeil was still being evaluated and an update would be provided after the game.McNeil, who has started at third base and left field this season, is batting .293 with seven RBIs in 16 games. He made the All-Star team last season and is a career .319 hitter in 212 games.Billy Hamilton pinch-hit for McNeil in the bottom half of the inning.Image credits: AP last_img read more