Fight poses a question: Is this UFC or WWE? Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college “There’s going to be fines,” White said. “There’s going to be God knows what. Can these guys get visas to get back in the country? We’ll see how this plays out, but I’ve been doing this for 18 years, and this is the biggest night ever, and I couldn’t be more disappointed.”McGregor’s $3 million purse was not withheld after commission officials examined video footage and determined his side had done nothing wrong in the melee. While Nurmagomedov brawled with McGregor teammate Dillon Danis outside the cage, a few men from Nurmagomedov’s camp — at least two of whom appeared to be UFC fighters, although the promotion and the commission haven’t formally identified them — climbed into the cage and confronted McGregor, who defended himself while getting sucker-punched from behind.McGregor’s first public response to the drama came on Twitter early Sunday morning: “Good knock. Looking forward to the rematch.”By following his masterful victory with a reckless response to McGregor’s lengthy campaign of verbal and physical aggression, Nurmagomedov showcased the best and worst sides of mixed martial arts in a 30-second span. The Dagestan native who trains in San Jose, California, also overshadowed his years of steady progress to become one of MMA’s top pound-for-pound fighters.But Nurmagomedov said he had been brought to a boil by McGregor’s behavior since April, when McGregor infamously attacked a bus carrying Nurmagomedov and several other UFC fighters. McGregor was incensed after Nurmagomedov confronted a member of his team in New York earlier in that week, which ended with Nurmagomedov winning the UFC 155-pound belt.ADVERTISEMENT “I don’t understand how people can talk about I jump on the cage, you know?” Nurmagomedov said after apologizing to the Nevada commission during a brief post-fight statement to reporters, his title belt displayed on the dais before him.“What about he talked about my religion, he talk about my country, he talk about my father? He come to Brooklyn and he broke bus. He almost killed a couple of people. What about this? … I don’t understand. I’m respectful. My father teaches me, ‘Hey, you have to be always respectful.’”After McGregor agreed this summer to return from a 23-month UFC absence for this highly lucrative bout, Nurmagomedov absorbed the Irish superstar’s gleeful taunts related to his family, friends and Muslim faith during their fight promotion.McGregor crowed when Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov, the champion’s beloved father and a longtime wrestling coach, couldn’t attend UFC 229 because he couldn’t secure a U.S. visa in time. McGregor called Nurmagomedov’s father a “quivering coward” during a boisterous news conference.On Thursday, McGregor referred to Nurmagomedov’s manager, Ali Abdelaziz, as a “snitch terrorist rat.” McGregor appeared to be referring to a book written several years ago which claimed that Abdelaziz once worked as an informant for the NYPD and FBI among U.S. Muslims in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.McGregor’s barbs were pointed, as usual for a fighter who built his massive fortune both with heavy fists and cutting words. White knew that Nurmagomedov and his teammates took it all very personally, but he was shocked by their response.“This isn’t the last time guys are going to say mean things to each other,” White said. “This is the fight business. That’s how it works. People have been saying mean things to each other for 18 years here in the UFC. Nothing like this has ever happened.”White was at Mike Tyson’s fight with Evander Holyfield in 1997 when Tyson bit Holyfield’s ear and went on a rampage that spilled into the stands. The UFC 229 scene also recalled Floyd Mayweather’s fight with Zab Judah in 2006, in which the fighters’ trainers brawled in the ring between rounds and nearly set off a riot; the post-fight fracas between entourages and fans at heavyweight champion Riddick Bowe’s fight with Andrew Golota in 1996; and a Strikeforce MMA show in Nashville in 2010 which ended with a post-fight brawl carried live on CBS.McGregor’s fame attracted attention to UFC 229 from millions of people who don’t watch MMA regularly, and the embarrassing post-fight events fit neatly into many casual stereotypes of the sport as a barbaric, exploitative spectacle. In truth, such displays of poor sportsmanship are fairly rare in MMA.“I promise you this is not what a mixed martial arts event is normally like,” White said. “When you have such an amazing event that we’ve worked hard to build for several months, and it goes perfect … this is not what we’re about. This is not what we do. This isn’t how we act.” Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award LATEST STORIES Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown MOST READ Khabib Nurmagomedov speaks at a news conference after the UFC 229 mixed martial arts event Saturday, Oct. 6, 2018, in Las Vegas. A brawl broke out after the main event between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor when Nurmagomedov climbed over the cage and set off a scuffle with another fighter in McGregor’s corner. (AP Photo/John Locher)LAS VEGAS — Khabib Nurmagomedov was the calm, glowering foil to Conor McGregor’s antics for six months while the loquacious Irishman built a frenzy of hype around their UFC lightweight title fight.When Nurmagomedov forced the biggest star in mixed martial arts to tap out Saturday night to end what’s likely to be the most lucrative show in UFC history, he had fashioned the perfect response to McGregor’s verbal insults and physical attacks.ADVERTISEMENT Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil View comments Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Although White said he was “disgusted” by McGregor’s behavior in Brooklyn, the UFC promoted this bout using video footage of McGregor’s violent attack, which traumatized strawweight champion Rose Namajunas and left two other fighters unable to compete due to injuries from the shattered glass.When asked about the UFC’s exploitation of the bus attack, White said he would do it all again, calling it “part of the story.”And whatever punishment Nurmagomedov faces, his drawing power will be increased exponentially when he returns to MMA. The gifted grappler from a little-known republic on the shores of the Caspian Sea acquired enormous cultural notoriety with his renegade actions and the show’s success.UFC 229 shattered the promotion’s previous gate record with $17.2 million in ticket sales at T-Mobile Arena, and White expects the pay-per-view sales to break the promotion’s record as well. That massive audience saw Nurmagomedov put on a beautiful display of well-rounded fighting against the biggest puncher in MMA.“He had the opportunity to walk out of that place a champion,” White said. “He would have looked like a stud, instead of flying over the cage and doing the things that he did. It should have been a very different night for him.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next But when Nurmagomedov promptly hurdled over the cage and fought with McGregor’s taunting cornermen while his own teammates ambushed McGregor in the octagon, the Russian champion and his friends might have seriously damaged careers that were just about to take off.“These guys are in big trouble,” UFC President Dana White said. “It is going to be ugly.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissExecutive director Bob Bennett said the Nevada Athletic Commission intends to file a complaint following its investigation into the actions of Nurmagomedov and his team for setting off a post-fight melee at UFC 229 immediately after McGregor submitted to Nurmagomedov’s choke in the fourth round. Nurmagomedov’s $2 million purse has been withheld, and he could face a hefty fine along with a lengthy suspension.White said three members of Nurmagomedov’s team were detained by police, but released after McGregor refused to press charges. White acknowledged Nurmagomedov’s lightweight title could be stripped if his actions result in a significant suspension.
Read more Share on Messenger Share on Facebook Amir Khan decided to work with Eddie Hearn while alone with his thoughts on I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out Of Here!The welterweight has signed a three-fight contract with the promoter he has long spoken of disliking and will return to the ring after a near two-year absence at Liverpool’s Echo Arena on 21 April.It will also be five years since Khan last fought in the UK, during which Hearn has repeatedly tempted to lure him into a fight with long-term rival Kell Brook. “I was in the jungle, on my own and thinking about where I wanted to be in my life,” Khan said. “I wanted people to see the real side of me and then I wanted to get back on the boxing scene with a bang. The only way to do that is with someone established.“I’ve got two or three years left in me and want the best fights of my career. We decided to put our egos to one side, and start working with one another, and forget about the ‘he said this’. It’s business, isn’t it?”It is understood Khan rejected an offer from ITV to work with Hearn’s Matchroom, which made its approach before his time on reality television late last year. Asked if he ever envisioned a period when he would work with Matchroom, Khan said: “No. It’s a little surreal. Eddie’s good at that.”A potential difficulty in making the fight between Khan and Brook is that the latter has moved up to light-middleweight, a division seven pounds higher than where Khan will remain. Confirmation of his return also comes after a period in which he had been recovering from an operation on a long-term hand injury and difficulties in his personal life with his wife Faryal Makhdoom.Khan, who last fought in May 2016 when he was knocked out by Canelo Álvarez, added: “I’m coming back fresh, with no injuries. The hand’s brilliant; there’s no pain there. I’ve had a pain for the last eight years of my career. It always used to hurt me and I always used to fight through it and it feels a lot better now.” Share on Twitter Boxing Since you’re here… Amir Khan one of several options for Jeff Horn if he can beat Gary Corcoran Share via Email news Amir Khan Topics Share on LinkedIn Support The Guardian Share on Pinterest Share on WhatsApp … we have a small favour to ask. More people, like you, are reading and supporting the Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we made the choice to keep our reporting open for all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.The Guardian will engage with the most critical issues of our time – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We hope you will consider supporting us today. We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism that’s open and independent. Every reader contribution, however big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. Reuse this content
Perth Glory Burns backs ‘legacy player’ Castro to star Dejan Kalinic 15:23 6/12/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Getty Images Perth Glory A-League Jacob Burns believes Diego Castro will be even better for Perth Glory after a full pre-season. Perth Glory star Diego Castro will be even more valuable for the A-League club after a full pre-season, according to football director Jacob Burns.Castro, 35, signed a one-year extension with Perth last month, the superstar midfielder set for a fourth season at the club.Unlike previously, the Spanish playmaker is set to join his Glory team-mates from the start of pre-season on Monday in a huge boost to Tony Popovic’s men. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Out of his depth! Emery on borrowed time after another abysmal Arsenal display Diving, tactical fouls & the emerging war of words between Guardiola & Klopp Sorry, Cristiano! Pjanic is Juventus’ most important player right now Arsenal would be selling their soul with Mourinho move Burns believes that will only help Perth, who have been led by the 2015-16 Johnny Warren Medallist since his arrival.”‘Cas’ is a very unique player, he’s been a legacy player for us and still has fantastic football in him,” he told Omnisport.”I think it was a very important one for us as a club, for Popa as manager, to have him back for a full pre-season. I think that’s something that in the past we haven’t had, we haven’t had him at the very start.”He’s a fit, professional guy and he always looks after himself, but I think it’s going to have even more value him starting day one with the group, being in all the pre-season, through the FFA Cup games, and we’ve got some exciting games coming up, including Chelsea here on July 23.”We can’t wait to witness more magic from El Maestro next season #OneGlory pic.twitter.com/xzMQ8tyLXz— Perth Glory FC (@PerthGloryFC) June 5, 2018Glory are looking for an improved campaign after finishing eighth and missing the finals last season.The arrival of former Western Sydney Wanderers coach Popovic – who won the AFC Champions League in 2014 – has already given them a boost.”I think first and foremost he [Popovic] has been successful, he’s taken a start-up club to the AFC Champions League and won it in the first season and he’s been involved in finals,” Burns said.”It’s his professionalism and his winning mentality I think that players want to come and play for. They know it’s not easy but they know they’re going to be a better player for it .”The general consensus in and amongst football circles is that yes, it’s going to be a tough time when you’re working under him, but it’s one that I think everyone embraces.”